Monday, September 16, 2013

Family Togetherness

This is a list of things I think every family should own to encourage togetherness. I'll admit "every" family is a bit of a stretch, but if something on this list isn't right for yours it still might inspire you. The focus of this list is minimizing technology use. I'm not anti-technology. There are some great technological advances to bring families together. However, a lot of technology in the home discourages interaction. This list is meant to counter that trend. Being together is worth little if you're not interacting. With that caveat, in no particular order...

1. A large blanket you don't mind taking outdoors.



Rationale: An essential for 4th of July, summer concert series, and picnics. It can also be used in winter for cuddling under as a family while you watch a movie. If large enough it can be used for forts and tents large enough to fit the kids and the grown-up kids.

How I'm doing: My wife is a regular quilter. We have a plethora of blankets, several of which were intended for outdoor family occasions and they get plenty of use.

2. A picnic basket.



Rationale: Family picnics, obviously. Insulate it with a towel to keep foods warm for short periods of time. Otherwise, a basket can also pack non-food material for short family outings. And a basket with a lid can be used for surprises that you don't want to wrap, but still want to reveal dramatically. Like puppies.

How I'm doing: Despite the excess of blankets, my family is sadly lacking on picnic baskets. We have a few baskets that we use for Easter, but no lidded baskets. I hope to make this a new acquisition soon and will be scouring thrift stores for good candidates. No need to spend more money than necessary.

3. A board game that takes at least an hour to play.



Rationale: The trend today seems to be games that are quick. It's like people want to minimize family interaction. For younger children, those quick games are perfect. For older children longer games are more suitable as long as you make the time for them. Bonus: Games often teach strategy, problem solving, and important social lessons about winning and losing. If a board game isn't an option a deck of cards or two is a great alternative.

How I'm doing:I have a closet full of board games as well as a second box of games stored in my walk-in closet. I also have three decks of cards with identical backs (for larger card games), a pinochle deck, and a box of dominoes. Oh, every family needs dominoes.

4. A library card.



Rationale: A library card is the key to a good family outing. It teaches children that books are important. Oftentimes libraries also have art and exhibits. Finally, a large number of libraries (but by no means all) are built next to city parks. This can combine an educational trip with a play trip.

How I'm doing:A library card was one of the first things I got when I moved. I always have one. So does my wife. Now my oldest daughter has one too. Check.

5. A book you are reading together.



Rationale: This is really an off-shoot of the library card. It encourages literacy. It can make great discussion material for around the dinner table. Children will learn to use their imaginations. Adults will get a chance to share their favorites with their children while reliving them. Plus, you might find a new favorite. Don't just read it though. Anticipate what's going to happen next, ask younger children to summarize previous chapters, act out your favorite parts.

How I'm doing: Trina and I have often discussed reading a book as a family. We did it regularly when we were dating, but it died off when we married and had kids. We still read books to the children at night, but not a family book. This week I started to remedy that with "The BFG" by Roald Dahl. We'll see how long it lasts. The children seem to loving it though. Ask them about whizpopping.

6. Decent collection of cookie cutters.



Rationale: To be fair, Trina looked at me funny when I included this one. However, family cookie making is a classic especially at Christmas time. A decent set will have you making cookies at birthdays, Easter, Valentine's, etc. Plus, cookie cutters can be used to trace shapes and can be used with play-doh. And getting children into the kitchen will be cheaper (and tastier) than those store bought cookies.

How I'm doing: We bought a big set of cookie cutters several years ago. Not all of them are great, but they have served us well. We've added a few to the collections since then. When at our favorite kitchen supply store we sometimes look at their selection. We haven't purchased any cookie cutters from them...yet.

7. Play-doh



Rationale: Play-doh inspires creativity. You build, you design, you play. Have theme nights where all family members create something (like animals). Reenact scenes from stories. Create caricatures of the family. Remember, play-doh will not last forever no matter how well you care for it. Plus, it's fairly inexpensive. Let people mix colors. Don't plan on all the play-doh ending up back in the canisters. Build models that you expect to dry out and put on the shelves for a week or two. Make the things you see on the boxes instead of just rolling it out and balling it up endlessly.

How I'm doing:We have a few small canisters of play-doh, but we haven't sat down for some dedicated family building. Maybe next week.

8. Art supplies including Construction Paper, Pipe Cleaners, Sidewalk Chalk, Pens, Pencils, Crayons, Marker, Paint, etc.



Rationale: Art projects indoors and outdoors. Decorate your house, do puppet shows, make gifts, build toys. Really, this one deserves it's own blog written by my wife. Best bet, buy the art supplies at the beginning of the school year when they are at their cheapest. Doing art with the children makes it more likely the supplies will be taken care of and last for a long time. Plus you get to nurture your own latent (or not so latent) talent.

How I'm doing: My house is filled with art supplies of various types. We just need to be better about using them as a family. Too often I send the kids to be artsy by themselves instead of joining them in their artistry.

9. A little red wagon.



Rationale: Holding personal items (or children) on trips to the zoo, picnics, etc. It can also be used to do service projects as a family around the neighborhood.

How I'm doing: This was one of the first big "toy" purchases I made after the birth of my oldest daughter. I selected a wooden red wagon that I love. I haven't taken as good care of it recently as I used to. Some of the brackets need replaced and parts need a paint job, but it still functions. And I love it. It worked great at our recent zoo trip.

10. Sleds

Rationale: It's like a wagon, except for winter. Family time fun when the weather changes.

How I'm doing: I've had several sleds in the past, but moves with an uncertain future led to sleds being donated to friends. Currently, we are living without, but winter is approaching and maybe that will change. My kids are getting old enough to really enjoy them. Bring on the cold and cocoa.

11. Popcorn Maker/Ice Cream Maker



Rationale: I guess this brings it back to technology, but having food that you made together while you have a family night can just make things better than ever. Plus, it gives you an excuse to use that blanket I mentioned at the beginning.

How I'm doing: I own two ice cream makers (a small and a large). For my birthday about a year ago I got a hot-air popcorn popper. I love it and use it all the time. You can make microwave popcorn, but this is so much better.

I know this list isn't complete. I figure I will expand it in the future as things pop into my head, and I'd love your input.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate this list. Makes me wish you were just down the hall so we could rustle up a good game of pinochle or something! Christmas list for our boys: a little red wagon.

    Joe.

    ReplyDelete