Thursday, January 22, 2009

My leg

I do not know if it dismayed Trina, my wife, but I have put a moratorium on my leg outside of this blog. That means she is not able to post pictures or talk about my leg unless the story is directly important to her. While some might argue any story about my foot is important to her, I do not care. It is my leg and the telling of it's tale belongs to me. Her only question was, "Are you going to write about it and put up pictures?" Indeed I am.

On Tuesday, after my family left town I was able to go see my doctor about having a splint removed that I have worn in the two weeks since surgery. Some x-rays taken at that appointment revealed that I now have two screws in my lower foot, Buttons flanking either side of my leg bones (complete with wires between them to hold my bones in place), and a plate attached with screws to my fibula. Overall the doctor said the prognosis was good. I left the appointment with a simple brace to wear when I am up and about. This was my decision. The doctor was perfectly happy to let me walk (hobble) out of their with nothing more than my crutches and a warning to be careful. His instructions are simple: start stretching it, I'll see you in 6 weeks.

As you can see from the pictures provided my foot look pretty damaged and ugly. There are plenty of marks where a shaving job went bad. There are yellow stains from the antiseptic. On either side of my foot you can see the taped incisions. And, of course, the foot is horribly swollen. This affects how the foot feels. It feels not right. However, it does feel better than it has in days and I enjoy the chance to move it. I also enjoyed the chance to wash it. It looks slightly better now. If not less swollen, it definitely looks cleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment