Thursday, January 22, 2009

Expectations

I have learned from the webcomics. I have also learned from their authors. One, Howard Tayler I have learned from face to face. Another, Rich Burlew, I have learned by reading his comic and facing disappointment. There is another who I only mention in passing, but has still taught me. What they have taught me is this: you must set expectations for when your work will be seen. Howard started his webcomic with the decision to post daily, and never miss a post. He hasn't for 8 years. Rich updates his webcomic when he can, and so far I have seen no detectable pattern to the when and how. The third artist has settled into a comfortable routine of Mondays and Thursdays, with an occasional bonus post. How does this help? It allows me to know that on certain days I can check those webcomics and find new material, except in the case of the second where I find myself obsessively checking the website every morning hoping for a new comic to entertain me. As a side note, I would recommend reading both of these webcomics if you are interested in things sci-fi or fantasy.

Anyway, on to the point. What should you expect for this blog? I will not follow Howard's example and update it daily because I know I will not succeed. I believe that I shall settle into a routine of updates twice a week: Sunday and Thursday. So there you go. There will be new information guaranteed on those days. Bonus posts to come as they are needed.

EDIT: To avoid confusion and frequent checking expect updates late on the day on Sunday, earlier in the day on Thursdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment