Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Plan

I find that despite my beginning of the year resolutions I have been bad about writing. To be fair, I have been getting a lot of writing done, but it has been erratic and sporadic. I have taken on a lot of projects; little writing on many projects mean that little progress is made.  The feeling that I'm not progressing causes discouragement. That in turn leads me to write less.  To counteract discouragement and distractions I have created "The Plan":

1.  Blog weekly.  I don't have it in me to blog more than that, but I feel that one blog a week is a commitment I can keep. It will also give me plenty of time to write a blog post and edit it before I post it.  I might as well practice revision while I blog. I think the best day for this post to appear would be Monday.  That allows me Sunday to write the blog and Monday evening to look over the blog before posting. 

  --1.a   Revamp the blog. Make it prettier, functional, etc.  Anyone know someone who is good at that?

2.  Gain an audience. Blogging to improve my writing does little good if I don't have an audience who is waiting for the next update (or at least pretending to).  They can also provide feedback and encouragement.  Some of you are here because of my efforts on this step. Please, feel free to pass on the blog to anyone you think might be interested.

3.  Define my works in progress (WIP) and set goals for the progression of said WIPs.

4.  Write everyday on something even if it is not one of my WIP.  The blog counts. Letters to friends count. Facebook statuses do not count. Neither do work e-mails.

5.  Strengthen my writing network.  I have several friends who are writers and I need to reconnect with them and remind them that I'm a writer too.   With their permission I will post links to their blogs and websites here.

Hmmm...I am sure there is more to do. Look for the first post of my rejuvenated blog on Monday highlighting my WIP. In the meantime, I am open to suggestions of steps to add to my plan.  Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment