Friday, July 17, 2009

Status Update 5

So as of my last post I was supposed to begin revision on my book, Basein (working title--I'll be accepting title suggestions after I get the second draft finished). It has been a week since then and I have and have not begun revisions.

1) I have started revisions because I have been reworking the prologue.

2) I have not started revisions because I did not look at the old prologue, I just wrote a new one.

I am much happier with my new prologue, although it is still very rough. I am going to let it sit while I rework the rest of the book. Then I'll edit it. I had considered printing in on the blog like I did the original prologue. I might do so in a couple of days, I am still undecided.

Just for a comparison. My original prologue was 258 words. Short and concise like I like it, but it just seemed not enough (and this is where I'll be a hypocrite and do what I complain about others doing--making my writing too long). The new prologue is 5,634 words. For those who don't have a calculator handy that is 21.8 times larger than the first prologue. It is 17 pages long, which is one of the main reasons I am hesitant to post it on here. I might post it on Google docs and if I do I shall let people know how to access it via this blog and e-mail.

Also being done in conjunction with the prologue is a written time line of events, description of important places, and character profiles. This should help with the consistency of my work immensely, but it will also slow down the revision process as I am updating four documents as I work instead of just one. :P Oh well, this is what I get for not making these documents as I wrote in the first place.

EDIT 7/19/2009: I just reread my post. I have gotten so into the groove of just writing without editing that I never scan through my blog to make sure it sounds good. I'm glad I came back and changed this one. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment