Sunday, February 8, 2009

They pick up everything...like silly putty.

I am always amazed at what my daughter learns. She is a font of mimicry. We are constantly bombarded by her imitations of us. Even more amusing is when she starts singing songs. The other day she started singing along with me as I sang "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" by the Beat Crusaders (Warning: the song has one objectionable phrase in it). Naturally, I edit that phrase when I sing the song, and my daughter is unfamiliar with the actual lyrics. It was still amusing to me listening to her sing along with me, and she knew the lyrics. It probably helped that it was about stars, "Twinkle Little Star" is her favorite song.

As a kind of pitch, "Twinkle Little Star" plays a role in the new Terry Pratchett book "Nation." It's Young Adult fiction, but it comes highly recommended by me, especially if you enjoy Terry Pratchett's poignant and humorous commentary on everyday life. This book tackles the area of belief, and is very well done.

Anyway, Anna surprised me most today when she started singing Queen. Maybe it's the Wal-mart commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment